News From Your Director
April 30, 2019
Dear Parents & Students,
It seems like this should be the time of year that things wind down… but they wind UP instead! Here is quite a bit of upcoming information. Please share, as Charms seems to have mostly given up on being a reliable way to send group emails. We will be going to a different program for next year, but until we are set up this remains our only way to get information out to most.
- Congratulations to the SV JV Winter Guard for a 6th place finish at the TECA State Championships on April 13th! Congratulation to the SV Varsity Winter Guard for being named the 2019 TECA State Champions! It was an amazing show!
- Please join me in congratulating our 2019-20 Ranger Band Drum Majors: Maya McBrayer, Rileigh McCullough, Lindsay Pattison, & Gabi Wilson. We’re very proud of you, as well as ALL 13 candidates who auditioned yesterday afternoon!!
- A Day of Percussion Pop is coming up this Saturday (May 4) from 2:00 to 3:00 in the SVHS Auditorium. Come out and support these incredible students, it’s going to be a fantastic show!
- The Color Guard & Jazz Band performance originally scheduled for this Saturday, May 4th has been cancelled.
- Band Banquet tickets go on sale beginning tomorrow, May 1st. Students may purchase a ticket for $25 from a Drum Major before or after school in the band hall. The banquet will take place on Friday, May 17th at Park31 Event Center from 6:30-10:30pm. For those who are new to our group, the annual Band Banquet is a semi-formal event open to all Band & Color Guard students. The event (99% student planned, organized, and executed) includes dinner, director awards, student superlatives, and a dance. We hope to see everyone there!
- Spring Concert is coming up on Thursday, May 16th. The concert will begin at 6:30 in the SVHS Auditorium with the Jazz Band, followed by Symphonic Band III at approx. 6:50, Symphonic Band II at approx. 7:15, Symphonic Band I at approx. 7:45, and Wind Ensemble at approx. 8:15. Seniors will be recognized during each band’s performance.
- The Smithson Valley Wind Ensemble has been invited to the UIL State Wind Ensemble Festival! We will perform at 9:15 A.M. in the Bates Recital Hall (Butler School of Music, UT Austin) on Saturday, May 11th. Parents are welcome and encouraged to attend this performance! Additionally, we are looking for a Wind Ensemble parent who would be willing to pull Little Blue to Austin with our percussion equipment. Anyone interested, please email Matt.Boening@ComalISD.org.
- The UIL is requiring that all students who participate in marching band have a physical prior to beginning practice on July 31st. While students may certainly obtain a physical from their family doctor, we have partnered with the SV Athletic Department to provide physicals for band students DURING their current band class on May 22nd. The cost is $25, and more details will be made available as we get closer to the 22nd.
- The Ranger Band Twitter account is back up and running! Follow us! @svrangerband