News From Your Director
August 9, 2018
Well, we have had a fantastic start to the 2018 Marching Season! It was great to see all of our returning members last week, and so exciting to welcome our incoming 9thgraders! They have tackled the daunting task of learning a whole new skill set with a great attitude and tons of energy. We learned the first ten sets of our UIL Marching Show this morning… I think that’s a record!
Now that we have sorted out our Charms account, I wanted to send out a communication regarding some upcoming details:
- Picture Day tomorrow! Students should bring lightweight gym shorts, black Ranger Band T-shirt, long (calf-length or knee-length) black socks with no writing or logos, and their picture order form, filled out with payment inside. We will rehearse outside from 7 to 8:30, then send students inside to change into their uniforms. After the group picture, students will take section shots and individual shots. Once they’ve taken all three photos, they are free to leave (usually around noon).
- Next week we have two half-days (Wednesday & Friday) in order for the directors to attend required teacher in-service meetings. There will be no rehearsal past 11am on those two days.
- School registration will be taking place next week:
- Mon. – Seniors, Tue. – Juniors, Wed. – Sophomores, Thu. – Freshmen
- Students will be released from band rehearsal at 10am on the day their class is registering. This is the least crowded time for registration and should keep them from having to wait in line for so long.
- Band Seniors will have reserved parking passes, so there is no need to try to be the first in line at 8am.
- Juniors & Sophomores who drive will be allowed to park on the Band Pad on Friday mornings during football season so that they will not have to walk to “Africa” late at night after football games.
- The Ranger Band will be traveling to San Francisco during Spring Break and it’s going to be a GREAT TRIP! If your student has not registered for this trip yet and would like to, I have attached the trip flyer containing all instructions to this email.
Parents, we look forward to seeing you all at Meet the Band Night on the 21st at 6:30!
Have a Great Ranger Day!
Smithson Valley HS