Dear Parents & Students,
Long ago, we entered the Ranger Band in the Bands of America Austin Regional, scheduled for September 24th. We wanted an EARLY contest to help create a motivational rehearsal atmosphere in the month of September, as well as take advantage of BOA’s unique judging rubric and captions (leaning heavily on the visual aspect of each band’s show) to get some early feedback on our show.
Fast forward to the release of the schedule, and we have been assigned a 6:25 A.M. Warm-Up time, and a 7:30 A.M. Performance (this means we will have to depart for Austin at 3:45 A.M.). The good news is we will be back at SVHS by 11 A.M. and hopefully home and resting by noon. The bad news is, we have the Comal County Fair Parade and an away game at East Central the day before.
So, in order to turn an awkward situation into a “remember that time when…” forever band memory, we have obtained Mr. Wahl’s permission to have the students remain at SVHS after the game to get a little rest before we have to leave again. That time will look like this:
· Female students will be assigned to the band hall.
· Male students will be assigned to the cafeteria.
· Students will want to bring sleeping bags, blankets, pillows, “camping style” sleeping pads…
whatever they want/need to make themselves comfortable for a 3 to 3.5 hour nap.
· Parent chaperones will be “standing guard” for the duration.
· Any sleeping attire students choose to change into WILL be compliant with school dress code.
· We will provide a breakfast for every student to eat on the bus to Austin.
Please understand that this schedule was constructed in order to maximize student safety by keeping them together as a group (and out of their cars) where we can monitor them, as well as to minimize the burden on parents whose students rely on them for transportation. When all is said and done, I think the students are going to have a blast! Hope everyone can come out to the Steele game on Friday to see the tremendous progress being made!
Have a Great Ranger Day!