News From Your Director
September 25, 2018
Dear Parents & Students,
First and foremost, please take note that the first UIL Grade Check is coming up in less than two weeks on Friday, October 5th. Students having a grade below 70 in one or more classes will lose their UIL eligibility and will no longer be allowed to perform with the band at football games or contests. Ineligible students will still be required to attend practices in order to earn their grade for Band. The next opportunity to re-gain (or lose) eligibility will be October 19th.
Aside from that, this is a pretty busy week:
- Monday rehearsals have shifted to 6-9pm
- This is in order to conduct them at Ranger Stadium after the football team vacates around 5:30/5:45
- Parents are welcome to come out, sit in the stands and watch as the show as it progresses!
- Pep Rally on Thursday
- Extended 2nd period Bell Schedule
- Students will be dismissed via P.A. announcement during 2nd period to come to the band hall
- Dress is Band Polo and jeans (any shoes are fine)
- Comal County Fair Parade this Friday (full itinerary attached)
- Call time, dressed in Summer Uniform is 8am in the Band Hall
- We step off in the parade at 10am
- Students will be transported to the Fairgrounds after the parade and will be on their own for lunch (they should bring $10-$15 for food at the Fair, or can bring a brown bag lunch from home)
- Students will perform at the Rodeo Corral at 1pm
- Home Game vs. Canyon this Friday (kick-off at 7:30pm)
- Letter Jackets will be presented at 4:30 in the Cafeteria (far end)
- Students should be picked up by 10:30pm after the game
- Seguin Marching Contest this Saturday (full itinerary attached)
- Call time for students is 11am (dressed in bibs, gloves, band shoes, & Ranger Band t-shirt). Students should bring hat boxes and instruments in cases.
- Prelims performance is 3:30 at Seguin High School Stadium.
- Finals performance will likely be in the neighborhood of 8 or 9pm
- Arrive back at SVHS @ 11pm
- Students should be picked up by 11:30pm
- Update to the Ranger Band Calendar that went out last May:
- We have been moved off the waitlist for the Bands of America Super-Regional Marching Contest held at the Alamo Dome on Nov. 2. The word “Tentative” should be struck from that entry. We will have a fairly early performance time that morning and will be done by mid-afternoon.
Have a Great Ranger Day!
Smithson Valley HS